Meta Tags : Tours Ayutthaya : Elephants Thailand : Elephants Ayuttaya : Floating Market Ayuttaya : Elephants and Religion: Tigers Ayuttaya : Elephant Adoption Thailand : Wats in Ayuttaya : Elephant volunteer program Ayuttaya : Elephant Reproduction : Elephant Show Thailand : Elephant Show Ayuttaya: Elephant Temple Rides Ayuttaya : Pony and Trap rides Ayuttaya : Accommodation Ayuttaya :
Local Trips Ayuttaya : Donate to Elephant Welfare Thailand : Elephant Adoption Thailand : Elephant Adoption Ayuttaya : ATV Ayuthaya : Elephant Volunteer Program Asia : Horse Riding Ayuttaya : Visit to Ayuttaya Wat's .
Recognised as the symbol of Ayutthaya because of it's three bell-shaped chedis, Wat Phra Si Sanphet, situated in the heart of the former capital, is the largest and grandest building at Ayutthaya.
Built in the fifteenth century, Wat Phra Si Sanphet was constructed where the royal palace stood spanning the reigns of King Ramathabodi I to King Sam Phraya. The construction of the wat was commissioned by King Borommatrailokanat because he wanted it to be used as the monastery.
Unlike many of its contemporaries, Wat Phra Si Sanphet has been well preserved. The name of the temple comes from the Buddha statue that was erected on the site in the sixteenth century, called Phra Buddha Chao Si Sanphet and entirely covered with gold. Destroyed during the Burmese invasion, the remnants are now kept in the chedi at Wat Po in Bangkok.
Two of the three chedis were built in 1492 and contain the ashes of King Ramathibodi II's father and brother. The third chedi was built in 1530 by King Borommrachnophtthangkun to place the remains of King Ramathibodi II.
The Emerald Buddha Chapel in Bangkok was actually inspired by Wat Phra Si Sanphet and the design is admired world over. The three chedis have come to symbolize the essential qualities of Ayutthayan-period architecture
30 Baht to enter the grounds of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. The temple is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Located in front of the Royal Palace, Wat Thammikarat was established
by Phraya Thammikarat, the son of King Sainam Phung before the Ayutthaya Period.
The temple was originally known as Wat Mukkharat,
and the name was later changed to honour of the founder.
Although once large and grand, today's temple is somewhat diminished.
However, there are many important formations inside Wat Thammikarat.
Inside the temple you will find a chapel that previously contained
an enormous Buddha image, which was made entirely of bronze.
The image has now been transferred to the Chao Sam Phraya
National Museum. There is also a bell-shaped chedi, an Ordination
Hall and a hall containing an image of a reclining Buddha.
The focus point of Wat Thammikarat is a roofless viharn, with ten brick pillars. Inside the temple you will discover a topless chedi surrounded by Khmer style stucco lions, many which are in good condition, although some of their heads have been chopped off.