Meta Tags : Tours Ayutthaya : Elephants Thailand : Elephants Ayuttaya : Floating Market Ayuttaya : Elephants and Religion: Tigers Ayuttaya : Elephant Adoption Thailand : Wats in Ayuttaya : Elephant volunteer program Ayuttaya : Elephant Reproduction : Elephant Show Thailand : Elephant Show Ayuttaya: Elephant Temple Rides Ayuttaya : Pony and Trap rides Ayuttaya : Accommodation Ayuttaya :
Local Trips Ayuttaya : Donate to Elephant Welfare Thailand : Elephant Adoption Thailand : Elephant Adoption Ayuttaya : ATV Ayuthaya : Elephant Volunteer Program Asia : Horse Riding Ayuttaya : Visit to Ayuttaya Wat's .
Built under the command of King Prasatthong in 1630 AD, on the site of his former home, the Wat was constructed in all likelihood to celebrate victory over Cambodia. This is inferred in the architectural style as it imitates that of Angkor Wat. The build is of one main prang and four lesser prangs, created from the same base, surrounded by eight smaller prangs and a gallery.
The ordination hall is located just outside the gallery to the east of the main prang. There are four small chedis and a smaller prang that were built in a later period, all of the buildings are encircled by walls, meaning they reside within this courtyard. This Wat was formerly a royal monastery, where the King and his descendants could perform religious rites. The Wat has also been used for Royal cremation services.
In 1767 AD whilst being besieged by Burma the temple became a military base,
and after the fall of Ayuttaya to the Burmese the site was decimated by beheading
Buddha's, selling the bricks etc. In 198t a conservation
effort was mounted by the Fine Arts Department which was completed in 1992.
The literal meaning for the temple is "The Temple of a long and glorious era.
" This is a favourite amongst a lot of "Wat-Watchers!"
Its costs about 30 from the city centre by tuk-tuk to get there. Admission 20 Baht. Open from 8.00am to 6.00pm.
Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon
Also known as Wat Chao Phraya Thai, this Buddhist temple is actually located just outside Ayutthaya. Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon was commissioned as a place for meditation by King U-Thong in the fourteenth century as a place for meditation.
In 1592, King Naresuan built the huge pagoda to celebrate his victory when he killed the Burmese crown prince. You can even climb up the chedi for spectacular views across Ayutthaya.
The temple's main focus points are a large reclining Buddha in saffron robes, a ruined viharn and an enormous chedi wrapped in golden cloth and set in a courtyard lined by Buddha images all wearing saffron robes.
The temple is a long walk (or a short tuk-tuk ride) southeast of ancient Ayutthaya, across the Pridi Damrong Bridge and NW of the train station. After crossing the Pasak River, take the Bangkok road, turning right about 300 m beyond the railway.